Thursday, November 12, 2015

Warm-Up and Portrait/Self-Portrait Preview

Love and Loss Warm-up

1. Looking through these images, I felt a sense of familiarity with the subjects. Through these images, I could tell what kind of relationship the subjects had and what they had to cope with. As the images progressed, they told the story of a woman living with cancer and how she dealt with her illness. All without a single word. I felt a little hopeful sometimes, seeing the woman being supported by her husband, but often I felt the heavy weight of depression and dread, knowing how it all might end.

2. "These photographs do not define us, but they are us."
After viewing these photos, I understand now what the photographer was conveying. The photos do not tell you what kind of people they are. They do not tell you about the subjects' personal life or personality or memories. The photos show the struggle that this couple goes through as a result of cancer. It is through struggle that one's true self is revealed. The photos are a part of a significant part of this couple's life, and it is a part of their story. It is a part of them. 

3. I honestly don't know. Would I be the cancer patient or the loved one? If I were the cancer patient, I think it would be easier documenting my own life. It'd be easier to deal with the fact that as I took those photos, I would be making my final mark on the world. If I were the loved one, however, I think that it would be a little harder. It would be hard to take these photos knowing that any day could be the last day you talk to them. However, I would still be glad that I would be documenting them, so that if they do die, I would still have those pictures to remind me of them.

4. If I could write him a letter, I don't think I would have a lot to say. It's harder when you don't know someone, because you don't know what's the right or wrong thing to say. However, I would write something along the lines of: 
Dear Angelo,
What you did for your wife, Jennifer, was very brave. It's hard dealing with the loss of a loved one, and even harder when you know that loss is in the future. But I think it's beautiful, that in her last days, you documented as much as you could to capture a special part of her.


Self Portraits and Portraits (PART 1)

TIPS

1. Hold your camera at an angle
2. Take a series of shots
3. Play with eye contact

Environmental Photo



I really like the colors in both of these photos. In the first photo, the colors of the background and the farmer are muted, but then there's this strike of red on the photo from the cranberry field. I think it gave the photo a nice effect. In the second photo, the colors of the sunset merge and contrast with the shadowed snow on the ground. A lot of elements in this photo made it an appealing photo to look at. I picked these photos because they show the relationship of the subjects with the environment.

Self-Portrait





I couldn't just pick two for this one. 
The first three photos are more serious. I like the first photo because of how reflective it is. I thought it was a really cool effect that sparked my interest, and it gave the photo a kind of intense feeling. The second photo is meaningful. The angle was turned upside down to make it seem like the subject was falling upwards, or like they were losing their footing and falling into nothingness. The third photo has a cool perspective that makes the subject seem like it's larger than the mountains in the distance. Plus, I liked how the yellow line leads the eye to the subject. This photo gave me a sense of wanderlust. Finally, I picked the last photo just for fun, because I thought it was funny and I needed a laugh today.

Casual Portrait



I chose these two photos because of how contrasting they were. Both photos convey emotion, but one is happiness while the other one is dark depression. I like how the lighting in the photos makes a big difference between them and helps to set the mood. The first photo is dark and intense in contrast to the second photo that has softer and brighter lighting. 

For my portrait assignment, I'm not exactly sure how I will plan things out. I don't think I want to photograph just ONE subject, and instead capture many subjects, including myself. I would like to shoot in many different kinds of background and settings. I may choose a certain theme for my photos, or I might just go with the flow and capture the image when it arises. To make my shots successful, I'll choose angles and perspectives to make the photo interesting. I'll capture the relationship between the subject and the setting or an object in the setting whenever possible, and capture the subject's face to give the photo a sense of familiarity and emotion. And of course, I'll use the rules of photography - particularly leading lines, balance, and framing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment